sound recording does not work on intel HD audio ??

fred at saintcyp-forever.fr fred at saintcyp-forever.fr
Thu Jan 3 19:17:09 UTC 2008

(2nd try email as I do not receive the original one as I usually do...)

Hi,

I'm desperately trying to record audio (TV) that's plugged on the Line
in jack of my ASUS P5B deluxe card. This is an intel HD audio codec
(Analog Devices AD1988B), on a ICH8 chipset.

I think I tried almost everything : I tried arecord, audacity (and sox
also), but I never get one sound recorded.
I get at most some noise.

Still I *hear* the audio on the PC speakers !
I can mute this audio doing :
amixer set Line off
or
amixer set 'Analog Mix' off

I can also change volumes and other things using kmixer or alsamixer, and Line
is selected as an input source in the recording properties of the mixers.

So I'm wondering what else I could try ? Why can't I get any audio
recorded from the Line source ?
The alsa changelogs do not seem to show many things have been improved
concerning the snd_hda_intel module, so I'm wondering if it's worth
spending time trying the 1.0.15 version instead of the Gutsy 1.0.14 ...

Would you have any hint on what else I could try or who I should contact to get this solved ?
Thanks && regards