Samba Shares

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 3 17:33:11 UTC 2008

On 01/02/2008 05:40 PM, Derek Broughton wrote:
> NoOp wrote:

>> System|Administration|Network|General|Domain name:
>
> I'm a Kubuntu user, not Gnome, but that doesn't look right - surely that's
> the Internet Domain (DNS) name, not the Samba Workgroup name.
>
> I'll bet P�r's method is correct, but if you feel the need to do it in the
> config file (which apparently I have to do in KDE) it's "workgroup = NAME"
> in /etc/samba/smb.conf (did it just the other day),

Works just fine in Gnome for me. I can browse my Ubuntu machines just
fine on the workgroup/domain that I set just that way. I purposely
change from the standard MS "Workgroup" to a different name so I know
it's not using a default. From the Network Help regarding the General tab:

<quote>
General
    Allows you to modify your system host name and domain name.
</quote>

However, I'll give P�r's method a try today; I wonder if you can have
multiple workgroup/domain's and assign a different one for each shared
folder.  Also, if you use that method, the wording on the shared folders
tab is:

Windows sharing
 Domain/Workgroup:

So I think it's pretty much the same & probably modifies the same conf
files.