VMWare and iPod question

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Tue Jan 1 12:41:30 UTC 2008

I'm trying to use VMWare Server with Ubuntu as a host and Windows XP as
the guest to access an iPod Nano with iTunes.

I can manage to get the iPod visible to the guest via the USB port.

When I try the iPod restore (it is currently Mac-formatted), the guest
blue screens.  The first time Windows/iTunes downloaded the 1.1.3
software for the Nano, then blue screened just as it tried accessing the
iPod.  The second time iTunes extracted the 1.1.3 software it previously
downloaded then as it tried accessing the Nano it blue screened again,
leaving the Nano in a state where it was requesting a restore and was
unusable until I did that.

Anyone use VMWare to manage an iPod?

-Bart