Permanently mount wd external usb drive and share via samba?

Neil hok.krat at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 18:44:31 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 6:03 PM, Sam Fielder <srf10130 at vtc.vsc.edu> wrote:
> I am having difficulty setting up this drive (wd mybook home 500gb
>  connected via usb). I have three partitions and some unused space, one
>  is the fat32 original partition shrunk down to 10Gb and two 100Gb fat32
>  partitions each with 100Gb of empty space (unallocated) at the end to
>  expand into if needed or to be used at a later date. These partitions
>  are going to be mounted on my fileserver (edubuntu 7.10) and used as
>  backup/storage for various computers on the network, so the folders on
>  each partition will need to be shared by a combination of samba and nfs
>  to my various linux and windows clients. I am having difficulty on two
>  things.
>
>  1
>  I don't want to use the auto mount feature (which does work but gives
>  ugly mount points and varies on boot, which is not ideal for network
>  shares) . I want to mount each partition to a separate, named point on
>  /media (/media/pictures and /media/backup). I can do this, but I cannot
>  seem to get the partitions to mount writable for standard users, I am
>  able to write as root.

How are the permissions of the folders /media/pictures and /media/backup?
If these folders are drwr-xr-x and root made them root is the only one
that can write there (an since it is fat32 this counts also for the
files in the disk)
You should set them to dwrxwrxwrx with "chmod a+x" (as root) to give
everyone writing rights.

Neil
--
There are two kinds of people:
1. People who start their arrays with 1.