Question

Richard Rudnick rich at aphroneo.net
Fri Feb 29 17:45:13 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-02-29 at 08:57 +0900, Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:

> I forgot that I actually have that situation on my dual-boot
> Debian/Ubuntu system, and thanks for pointing out that you have an
> isseu when you want to use 32-bit and 64-bit kernels. Got it.
>
> I do find though that when I install a new kernel in Debian, GRUB is
> not updated, only when I install ad new kernel in Ubuntu.... so I am
> always adding the new Debian kernels to the GRUB menu by hand in the
> Ubuntu /boot/grub directory. So how do you make a neutral grub
> directory with a menu.lst where kernels from all your different
> partitions appear?

update-grub in ubuntu will scan your disks for os's and add them to
grub. I haven't actually looked the script, but it does recognize 32 bit
and 64 bit ubuntu's and windows and adds those to the menu.lst. Since it
puts the exact same labels on the 32 and 64, I end up editing menu.lst
by hand anyway to identify which is which in the titles.