Lenovo 3000 N200 problems

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 29 17:22:45 UTC 2008

On 02/29/2008 12:09 AM, squareyes wrote:
> Hi all,
> just acquired a Lenovo 3000 N200 very cheap, shop had lost box  software
> etc, all I got was laptop and charger.
> Am trying to install Ubuntu 7.04, and gets to message

Please use 7.10 alternate CD.

> /bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
> (initramfs)
> This machine had a password(and Vista installed I would like to distance
> myself from) I which I do not know, shop assistant had no clues at all,
> but very cheap, have reset passwords in Bios, but no luck.
> Have tried to install Win XP, and loads till a message no hard drive
> installed...

And there is where the initramfs message is coming from; it appears that
you have a problem with the hard drive. If you can download and burn a
couple of cd's I'd recommend:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
[for troubleshooting & testing your hardware etc]

http://www.knoppix.org/
[Viewing the partitions, mounting the drive, checking all hardware in
linux environment etc.]
Knoppix is not meant to be installed, it loads into memory & is one of
the best live CD's available. If your system doesn't work with Knoppix
then you generally have a real HW problem.