XFX Nvidia 8800GT

Loïc Martin loic.martin3 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 17:10:34 UTC 2008

Leo Noordhuizen a écrit :
> Thanks very much for all messages to help me. Very much appreciated.
> I did return the card, as I think I exhausted all possibilities.
> For example using the 'restricted drivers' didnt work as the card wasnt
> recognized and consequently when starting the restricted drivers
> application, Ubuntu told me that I didnt need any restricted drivers.
> Maybe it is related to teh way XFX interfaces to the Nvidia chip and
> will other 8800GT based cards work fine, but this one didnt.
>
> Leo

Sorry, I assumed the problem was less trivial than that :)

You could have just installed the Ubuntu nvidia proprietary drivers from
Synaptic package manager (get the -new ones, around the 169 version
number), then run

sudo nvidia-glx-config enable

or something similar. Alternatively, just edit xorg.conf if you're used
to that method.

The Ubuntu restricted drivers manager is only the new method, we didn't
have that a few versions ago.

Your problem might just be that the id sent by your card isn't
recognised by the Ubuntu restricted drivers manager, in which case it
could have been helpful to others to provide it on launchpad (open a bug
against the restricted drivers manager).