ubuntu on windows xp, help required

Alexandra Zaharia f0rg3r at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 14:01:59 UTC 2008

On 2/29/08, Donny George <donny008 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> myself donny a student, am trying to install ubuntu 6.06 as dual os along
> with windows xp. and after getting the iso image and burning i started with
> the process of installing ubuntu.

Hello,

Ubuntu 6.06 is an old version... you might want to check out the 7.10
release, which contains up-to-date packages (apps) and which has
broader support for a variety of hardware.

> it went on well and reached the ubuntu
> desktop and it read that nautilus has quit unexpectedly and so whther i need
> to inform or start once again. i followed and link where it said i could
> type "apt-get dist-upgrade" but it said i had no permission and asked me if
> i am root. i am not very familiar with linux os or the commands. but still
> could i type in something like "su" if so wat would be the password

dist-upgrade refers to upgrading your distribution to the most recent one.

Unlike other Linux distros, Ubuntu has the 'root' account locked. You
run each application as user 'donny' for instance and when you want to
do something "bigger" such as dist-upgrade you'd be told that this
operation requires higher privileges than donny's, i.e. it will
require you to "sudo whatever-command".

You can find more on root/sudo stuff here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

> or else have can i ensure a smooth installation of ubuntu without affecting
> my windows. would be there any tutorials where i can get by step guidance.

You can keep your windows partition and dual-boot for as long as you
find necessary. Here's something to give you an idea:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

Ubuntu documentation: https://help.ubuntu.com
Great tutorial collection on Ubuntu here: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index

HTH,