VNC ? again

Wade Smart wadesmart at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 13:40:14 UTC 2008

Bart Silverstrim wrote:

> Wade Smart wrote:
>   > Well, it needs to be simple for the teachers and the IT guy. I dont work
>> for the school district - just help out when I can. So the admin is
>> barely out of school in most cases and knows little.
>>
>> What I was asked to do is make it easy for the admin to access the
>> teachers computer to either fix something or show them how to do
>> something without him/her having to travel to each school. Right now
>> this is implemented at only one school but if this works out - it will
>> grow to all the schools.
>
> As a person that has had a large setup with VNC, if you're talking about
> remote access to WinXP+ systems via VNC, you need to be careful with the
> Windows firewall.  It's one of our thorns when using it.

02292008 0723 GMT-6

I setup VNC two years ago for all their XP systems and its ran great. Of
course - I didnt use the windows firewall - thats the first thing to go
on all new pc's.

I have been testing here at my house because I have the same basic setup
as the school does but I cant even get it to work here.

On Firestarter - Allow Service for I have ports 5800 and 5900 allowed
for Everyone. The ports are forwarded but, can it be that the java
viewer isnt starting?

Wade