Question

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux i-ubux at synass.net
Thu Feb 28 13:15:27 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-02-28 at 19:33 +0900, Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 6:49 PM, SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux
> <i-ubux at synass.net> wrote:
> >
> >  On Thu, 2008-02-28 at 18:16 +0900, Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
> >  > On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 5:29 PM, SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux
> >  > <i-ubux at synass.net> wrote:
> >  > >
> >  > >  On Thu, 2008-02-28 at 15:53 +0900, Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
> >  > >  > On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 3:33 PM, Richard Rudnick <rich at aphroneo.net> wrote:
> >  > >  > >
> >  > >  > >  On Thu, 2008-02-28 at 10:48 +0800, SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
> >  > >  > >
> >  > >  > >  > sda2/u = /BOOT Ubuntu, shareable with more Linux'es !?
> >  > >  > >
> >  > >  > >  I would suggest not using a separate boot partition. Grub can find
> >  > >  > >  kernels in more than one place (that is, a boot directory under each
> >  > >  > >  os's root). If you have a 64bit processor and would like to have both
> >  > >  > >  32bit and 64bit Ubuntu's installed you must do this, since the kernel's
> >  > >  > >  for both have the same name.
> >  > >  >
> >  > >  > Hmm, are you then going to have the boot directory under the root
> >  > >  > directory in the root partition for the OS installation?
> >  > >
> >  > >  Hi Gernot  and Richard
> >  > >  I would like to learn and understand better about your suggestion and
> >  > >  its results with its contra's and pro's !?
> >  > >
> >  > >  TIA and cheers, svobi
> >  >
> >  > Me, I like to have many partitions, so I can treat them separately
> >  > when doing backups, repairing, and when reconfiguring my systems. I
> >  > don't mix /usr/local and /usr on the same partition either, for
> >  > example. Cheers, G
> >
> >  Hi Gernot,
> >  Thanks for your fast feedback !
> >  I am still considering my best HDD layout and its optimal partitioning.
> >
> >  Well, with /usr and its contents your are already deeper in the
> >  problematic.
> >  Yeah, I would  love to get to know more about this when I am more
> >  prepared
> >  with my future / new layout and when it comes to transferring existing
> >  data into
> >  this new one !!
> >
> >  First I have to finish my homework to structure this layout before
> >  discussing how
> >  to save and transfer existing personal data without any loss !!! ;-)
>
> Why don't you go easy at first, and wait until you have reconfigured
> your system a few times? If  you make /home a separate partition, and
> /usr/local too, then at least any of your files and local package
> installs can be kept and transferred independently of the rest of the
> system.
>
> Cheers, G

Hi Gernot,
I am already going easy now with my simple 2 partition Ubuntu
installation: / and /SWAP ! ;-)
Too late I realized that I had better added /HOME from the very
beginning !!

As a retired IT fellow I am not always going to RE-configure and
RE-install my stuff !!! ;-D
An oldie in ITC since 1969 ... a newbie with Linux / Ubuntu I need /
search some system
specific knowledge to realize what I intend to reach !

Fortunately ... or UN-fortunately:
I spoilt  the second HDD of my system and now I am in the need to
prepare an
emergency backup again ! So till Ubuntu 8.40 comes in April, I easily do
prepare and
tests with this new HDD so, that with Ubuntu 8.40's arrival I exactly
know how and
what to do to get my stuff running as intended. 0 :-)

Thanks a lot and / Dankeschoen und
Cheers / Tschuess
svobi