Question

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Thu Feb 28 14:33:54 UTC 2008

Nils Kassube wrote:

> Richard Rudnick wrote:
>> Swap should be about 2x your memory,
>> up to around 2gb max.
>
> Be careful with that upper limit. If you want to use "suspend to disk",
> you need at least the amount of memory as swap.

I think you have that backwards - you want more swap than real memory.
Though actually, that's not quite true.  The default suspend does
compression these days, though I still find that my wife's laptop won't
suspend with a running virtualbox instance of XP - I suspect the XP memory
image doesn't compress well.  What you really need is almost as much swap
space as in-use virtual memory - which is a little awkward to calculate as
you're shutting down the system :-)
--
derek