Settings applications to always open on certain desktops

Leo Cacciari leo.cacciari at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 09:18:09 UTC 2008

Il giorno gio, 28/02/2008 alle 10.56 +0200, Jad madi ha scritto:
> if you run all programs you want and this organise them as you want
> them to be; then save the session they should open in the same place.
>

> On 28/02/2008, Conor Schaefer <conor.schaefer at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I hate to spam the list, but I haven't seen a response to this issue,
> >  and I'm very curious whether anyone can help out. Hard to believe I'm
> >  the only person who finds this bothersome.
> >
> >  Thanks!
> >

> >  Conor Schaefer wrote:
> >  > I use Gutsy and Compiz, 4 desktops on a cube. I love the workspace
> >  > management, very efficient.
> >  >
> >  > I usually set Gnome to save my session on logout, so that when I log
> >  > back in, all the same applications reopen. This is useful because it's
> >  > usually things like Thunderbird and Firefox, possibly Pidgin too.
> >  >
> >  > The problem: ALL applications open on desktop one! This means every time
> >  > I log in I have to spend 20-30 seconds organizing the different apps to
> >  > their respective desktops.
> >  >
> >  > Is there any way to declare that a specific application always opens on
> >  > a certain desktop, e.g. Amarok on Desktop 2, Thunderbird on Desktop 4, etc.?
> >  >
Please Jad, do not top post.
However, what is said in the answer is patently false, as the OP
complains that saving the session does _not_ do what he expects and you
suggest.
I do not know if what the OP would like to do is possible, particularly
with compiz running, as then the workspace aren't workspaces at all, but
viewports that, as I understand it, gnome can't handle well (see the
fact that you can no longer drag your icons in the workspace selector
and have windows move).

--
Leo 'TheHobbit' Cacciari