Question

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux i-ubux at synass.net
Thu Feb 28 02:48:06 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-02-28 at 10:17 +0900, Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 9:14 AM, Richard Rudnick <rich at aphroneo.net> wrote:
> >
> >  On Wed, 2008-02-27 at 17:55 -0600, Alex Barrantes wrote
> >
> /../
> >  > I want to divide my hard drive in 3
> >  > partitions, the first part to keep
> >  > the Windows Vista already
> >  > installed, the second part to
> >  > install Ubuntu and the third
> >  > one for save files which I can open
> >  > or write when I using
> >  > both operating systems.
> /../
> >  > I have heard with debian installer
> >  > you can get a hard disk partition
> >  > without formatting or deleting
> >  > existing information, but has its
> >  > risks. Question: Is Ubuntu
> >  > installer that I have fallen allows
> >  > this operation?
> >
> >  Two things: First, it's a good idea to resize the vista partition from
> >  inside of vista, I think it's in disk management under
> >  accessories->system tools or some such. Ubuntu does have an ntfs
> >  partition shrinker, though.
>
> Good move.
>
> >  Second, you'll want 4 partitions: 1 for vista, one for ubuntu, one for
> >  swap and the 4th for saved files.  Swap should be about 2x your memory,
> >  up to around 2gb max. It's used for swapping out unused but running
> >  programs, and optimizes memory usage.
>
> I suggest making the swap partition a primary one, and then making one
> more primary for boot, and the fourth one an extended partition which
> you can then subdivide further. I generally leave one partition free
> between other used partititions so that repartitioning and/or moving
> partitions is slightly easier.

Hello everybody
This is very interesting for me too, since I am preparing for my
completely
new configuration with coming Ubuntu 8.40 !

I am looking for a good, felxible and secure solution too. ;-)

A primary for swap ??? I never considered / thought of such decision !
If RAM is big enough ONE don't even need this /SWAP !!

My idea was more just like following:

prim 1: ntfs / WIn installation, untouched / just shrink to 18-20GB
prim 2/u: /BOOT or
prim 2/w: ntfs / Win Data partition, data sharing with Ubuntu too or log
1w:
extended
log 1/w: ntfs / same as prim 2w !?
log 2: /SWAP
log 3: /HOME (not mentioned in this discussion) Ubuntu data !!!
log 4: /ROOT

I am not sure what would be better:
1) Generally: Win data partition prim 2w or log 1w as primary or logical
and
if primary, after or before prim 2u: /BOOT !?

I always do include watching the device names too and try to group them
together properly !

For the above it means:
sda1 = OS / Win
sda2/u = /BOOT Ubuntu, shareable with more Linux'es !?
sda2/w = Data Win
sda3 = extended
sda5/w = alternatively Data Win
sda5/u = /SWAP Ubuntu/ shareable with more Linux'es !?
sda6 = /HOME Ubuntu/shareable with more Linux'es !?
sda7 = /ROOT OS Ubuntu

sda/b+ = /ROOT for more Linux'es !? possibly on another HDD or USB
media !?

So what does one need to observe or what in my consideration is
wrong ???

Your hints, suggestions and thoughts are very appreciated !!!
TIA and cheers, svobi