defoptions in menu.1st updated by update-grub ???

sktsee sktsee at tulsaconnect.com
Wed Feb 27 23:35:23 UTC 2008

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 22:58:18 +0100, Nils Kassube wrote:

> Brian McKee wrote:
>> It doesn't matter if I delete that #defoptions line or change it to
>> #defoptions=
>> Once I run update-grub it changes it right back!
>>
>> How the heck do I prevent it from over-ridding the defoptions I set?
>
> Use some option for defoptions - then it will not be changed. Only if
> there is no value assigned, it will be set to the default value of
> "quiet splash".
>
>> And why is it doing that?
>
> I have no idea.
>
>> (background - I want 80x25 console - which means no splash or quiet
>> options.  I need to set it in menu.1st so future kernel updates don't
>> just overwrite my changes....)
>
> Then use "# defoptions=vga=normal".

Actually you can set defoptions to nothing and it will default to 80x25
text mode. The OP's problem is that he needs a space between "#" and
"defoptions=". Otherwise, the line doesn't parse correctly, and update-
grub will reset it to the default line which happens to be
"# defoptions=quite splash".

--
sktsee