NAS with 320GB HDD connected with TCP/IP or USB only shows 190GB !

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux i-ubux at synass.net
Wed Feb 27 06:56:35 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-27 at 14:42 +0800, SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-02-26 at 23:24 -0600, Richard Mancusi wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 11:09 PM, SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux
> > <i-ubux at synass.net> wrote:
> >
> > >  Hi Brian,
> > >  Again thanks for your comments, feedback and additional thoughts !
> > >
> > >  The "Manual" is very little (12xA5 pages) and Win dominated !
> > >  Additional explantations is very poor !!
> > >
> > >  i already wrote to the manufacturer's support and hope to receive some
> > >  help !?
> > >
> > >  Let's see what tales they may tell us !!! ;-D
> > >

> > >  Well, another reason to stay on FAT32 is my environment:
> > >  With FAT32 I am able to exchange and share the content between my 3
> > >  OS'es:
> > >

> > That may be an issue in your case (environment / NAS device) however
> > it is not true in general.  I have several Buffalo Terastation Pro II NAS.
> > They come formatted XFS file system, Raid 5, Active Directory support,
> > and completely compatible  with Windows Server and my Linux servers.
> > Actually, Buffalo recommends that you stick with XFS even though you
> > may reformat.
> >
> > -rich
>
> Hi Rich,
> Thanks for your information !
> Well, formatting isn't a problem since the NAS units and the HDD's are
> new.
>
> Currently I am experimenting with these two's to get them ready to work
> as wished
> when I am doing my latest partitioning for my future activities with
> OS/2, Ubuntu and
> very very rarely Windoof ! ;-)
>
> Data compatibility and portability has FIRST priority during the
> introducing and migrating time.
> Later I will have to rejadjust the NAS units to the most used or most
> compatible file systems and
> format them accordingly !!
>
> One very big question mark indeed is the capacity of the HDD's:
> They have 320GB but only do show ca 190GB !!!
>
> Where do I or they loose the other 130GB ???
>
> I may need to ask Seagate about this too !?
>
> Any hints and / or ideas ?
>
> TIA and cheers, svobi

Hi Rich
Back again with some test result:

Formatting with XFS isn't possible since
GParted only shows it "greyed" ...

One more thought in preparing this one best:

With Ubuntu 8.40 I am considering a complete new (re-) installation !
Win XPP as original manufacturer's condition with my current settings
and all data in D:
Ubuntu will be a new installation from now only with /SWAP & /ROOT to 4
partitions:
/BOOT /ROOT /SWAP and /HOME and I want to save my current data to
transfer back
to this new Ubuntu 8.40 setup !

What NAS setup would be best and most easiest to do this ???

Any advise and guidance is very appreciated, ;-)

Cheers, svobi