Agere WinModem 56k on Thinkpad - Working!

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 26 19:47:15 UTC 2008

On 02/26/2008 09:33 AM, NoOp wrote:
> On 02/25/2008 07:51 PM, sktsee wrote:
>

>> Just curious, but does your Agere modem have the Mars DSP chip? The PCI
>> ids for these models would be in the range of 11c1:0440 thru 11c1:045d.
>> (might also have Xircom vendor id of 115d:) This series has a supported
>> driver in linux that works with SMP capable kernels, unlike the ltmodem
>> an ltserial driver. If your modem pci id falls into the range listed
>> above, and you want try out the "martian" driver with the generic
>> kernel, you can get it here:
>> http://martian.barrelsoutofbond.org/
>>
>> I've used it since feisty and it works well pretty well.
>>

> Thanks! I'll look into that and give it a try.
> The laptop is showing 11c1:0449. The one in my desktop is showing
> 11c1:044f (can't get that one to break dialtone yet - works fine in
> WinXPPro).

martian works on the laptop with the generic kernal - even did a reboot
to make sure, thanks!

Interesting though that it needs to be run as root (sudo anyways). I
also like using the gnome-ppp GUI so I guess I'll need to write a script
to start martian_modem (sudo martian_modem) and then gnome-ppp (gksu
gnome-ppp).

Now I'll try it on the desktop later and see if I can get it working
there. Thanks again sktsee :-)