Connecting to L2TP

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 17:09:30 UTC 2008

On 26/02/2008, jack <tdldev at gmail.com> wrote:

>  On Tue, 2008-02-26 at 17:16 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>  > Next week I'm converting another Windows XP box to Ubuntu. Currently,
>  > she connects to the Internet via a cable modem and dialer software in
>  > Windows. I contacted the ISP but they don't know what the L word
>  > means. When I tell them I'm running Linux (or Ubuntu) they insist on
>  > knowing what version of Windows it's running under before helping at
>  > all. As she's got another 8 months on her contract with them,
>  > switching ISP's is out of the question.
>  >
>  > What program can connect to a cable modem and dial? She has this information:
>  > 1) host name
>  > 2) user name
>  > 3) password
>  > 4) L2TP
>  >
>  > The modem is a Motorola SB5101 SURFboard Cable Modem. Her ISP has only
>  > Hebrew and Russian homepages, and neither work well in Firefox:
>  > http://www.012.net/Templates/Homepage/Homepage.aspx
>  > http://www.012.net/homepage.aspx?FolderID=15&lang=ru&tabn=0
>  >
>  > Dotan Cohen
>
> Just off the top of my head, it sounds like a contradiction in terms. A
>  cable modem that you have to "dial-up" to get to?

That's quite common here. Actually, I'm unaware of an ISP that does
NOT require a dialer, whether it be cable, ADSL, or anything else.

>  How does she receive television?

The TV receives signals from an electronic box (I do not know the name
in English). Her remote control switched channels from the box. The
box has a card in it that must be replaced every month (or so). That
way, no one can steal cable: even if they have the box they need to
get a new card every month.

Note that I do not personally own a television, but if you want more
technical details, I can check.

>  -- I would look at the settings in her networking first; the answer may
>  be right there in front of you. Maybe you can post that data here and we
>  have a go at getting it sorted out with you.

The data I posted is all she needs to dial up on that modem. She can
even go to a different house, and get 'net access with that
information.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il