exim4 : how to configure ?

Aart Koelewijn aart at mtack.xs4all.nl
Tue Feb 26 14:53:08 UTC 2008

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 21:16:40 +0100, Bruno Costacurta wrote:

> Hello,
>
> how to configure exim4 to send email via my provider SMTP server ? Can
> someone provide me with a simple /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf ?
> Many thanks.
>
> The errors (regarding different tests) are :
>
> 1JTjUX-0003er-FH == pubmb.bco at pt.lu R=smarthost defer (-36): host lookup
> for pt.lu did not complete (DNS timeout?) ...
> 1JTjNl-0003NS-TA == pubmb.bco at pt.lu routing defer (-51): retry time not
> reached
>

> Bye,
> Bruno

Easiest is perhaps to run "sudo dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config" and then
fill in the server of your smart host (probably smtp.pt.lu) when asked
for that. You could also edit /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf. Where it
says dc_smarthost='' you should fill in the adres of your smart host,
which again might be smtp.pt.lu. If smtp.pt.lu does not work you should
ask your provider.

Aart