Few questions before moving from Windows to Linux Ubuntu

Gernot Hassenpflug aikishugyo at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 12:35:45 UTC 2008

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 9:20 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:
> Asif Kilwani wrote:
>  > 2. During Windows can i switch to Linux and vice versa
>
>  Only if you use one of the systems in a virtual machine. Check out
>  VirtualBox or Vmware - both are available for Linux and Windows.

There is also uwubi in the latest Hardy Heron (Alpha 5, supposed to be
out in April) which allows you to run linux from your Windows machine
without any partitioning at all, as though you were installing another
Windows app. It is supposed to let you get the feel of Ubuntu before
you decide to dedicate a partition to it.

>  > 3. Will Linux automatically load the drivers of all installed hardware
>  > or I've to install separately?
>
>  Not all hardware is supported, because some manufacturers don't release
>  specification for their hardware and also don't deliver drivers for
>  Linux. But you can test most of your hardware with a Live CD without
>  installing anything. That is much slower than the real installation,
>  though, because all the software is squeezed onto a single CD. But for
>  testing hardware support it should be a good starting point.

Also, some drivers exist but are not packaged for Ubuntu.  In which
case either some kind soul may package them for you, or you may need
to download them from the manufacturer's site. A case in point is, for
example, the Canon inkjet drivers (although many are supported by
native linux drivers also).

>  > 4. Will giant software developers like Adobe softwares will work on
>  > Linux?
>
>  Only a few commercial programs are available for Linux, Adobe Reader is
>  one of them. However, there are many programs available as free software
>  which are a viable replacement for commercial software. If you tell us
>  which programs you intend to use, someone might tell you a free
>  replacement.

Some companies make linux versions of their software, most do not. You
can look at the database of the wine application at http://winehq.org
to find out what applications are currently able to run under linux
using the WINE software (WINE=wine is not an emulator), which acts in
place of an underlying Windows OS. One thing which *does* work now is
Adobe Photoshop CS2 (version 9 I think). Codeweavers make a (slightly
older version of wine, but the wine group and codeweavers work
together so code goes back and forth) wine version plus interface to
let you install and uninstall Windows programs easily and without
interfering with each other. Very nice. Check out the latest wine
release (0.9.56), it has fixed a lot of things in games with regard to
DirectX.

For more information, check out the wine mailing list (or gmane group
or other Usenet groups), and ditto for printers (gimp-print ML) and
scanning (sane-devel ML). I'm sure for every area you're interested in
there will be an ML, gmane group, Usenet group, and/or IRC channels
:-)