Setting up USB HD SOLVED

Bhatt, Omkar obhatt at kentlaw.edu
Mon Feb 25 23:53:53 UTC 2008

PLEASE TAKE ME OFF THIS LIST!

-----Original Message-----
From: ubuntu-users-bounces at lists.ubuntu.com
[mailto:ubuntu-users-bounces at lists.ubuntu.com] On Behalf Of Karl Larsen
Sent: Monday, February 25, 2008 5:50 PM
To: Ubuntu user technical support,not for general discussions
Subject: Re: Setting up USB HD SOLVED

Nils Kassube wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>>     I have a 18 GB hard drive in a case with a power supply and a
>> devise that couples it to the USB system. When I checked it is
mounted
>> at /dev/sde1 and I was able with fdisk to put 2 partitions on it that
>> are called /dev/sde1p1 and /dev/sde1p2. Here is what fdisk shows:
>>

> The device mounted as "/dev/sde1" should be one partition of the
> disk "/dev/sde".
>

>> root at karl-desktop:~# fdisk /dev/sde1
>>

> It should be "fdisk /dev/sde" instead.
>

>>      Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
>> /dev/sde1p1               1       25000    12599968+  83  Linux
>> /dev/sde1p2           25001       59597    17436888   83  Linux
>>

> Now that's strange - there should not be partitions within partitions.

> Probably fdisk thinks, the data from the first sector of that
partition
> must be a partition table (which is wrong).
>

>> root at karl-desktop:~# mkfs.ext3  /dev/sde1p1
>> mke2fs 1.40.2 (12-Jul-2007)
>> Could not stat /dev/sde1p1 --- No such file or directory
>>

> Glad it didn't work - I suppose that was close to a disaster.
>

>>     It must be a problem with the USB connection. I was frankly
>> surprised and happy that the fdisk worked properly, or appeared to at
>> least. Does anyone have experience that might help?
>>

> No, the USB connection is OK. Just use the correct name for the
devices
> you want to use, i.e. /dev/sde for the fdisk command. And before you
> format a partition, umount it, if it is mounted.
>

> Nils

Thanks Nils, I plugged the thing back in, used fdisk /dev/sde and it
came right up. I removed the existing one and made a new /dev/sde1 of 30

GB and saved it. Then I unmounted the thing and used mkfs.ext3 /dev/sde1

and it did that exactly right.

The next thing is to put this Ubuntu on it with all the stuff attached
for a good backup using dd. Then if the worst happens I can dd it back.

Karl
Or rsynch perhaps.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI