Replacement motherboard, renumbered NICs and dvd drives?

Leo Cacciari leo.cacciari at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 15:23:52 UTC 2008

Il giorno lun, 25/02/2008 alle 13.56 +0000, Adam Funk ha scritto:
> The computer store has replaced my faulty motherboard twice recently,
> and each time the number of the on-board LAN (the only ethernet device
> present) has gone up (eth0 -> eth1, and now eth2).  Does anyone know
> why, and is it possible to reset it?

I belive this is due to the old NIC being included
into /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules. AFAIK, each time the
system sees a NIC, it inserts a entry there, thus recording a 'static'
name ethN for the card, thus allowing per-card configuration. I _think_
you can safely remove the entries referring to the older cards and
rename the one you have now (the last one) as eth0, but check the
udev(7) man page to be sure.

--
Leo 'TheHobbit' Cacciari