querry: root password!

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Mon Feb 25 13:05:02 UTC 2008

Nikunj Kumar wrote:

> As I also understand in UBUNTU we cannot login as a 'root' user so using
> 'su' is the only option left.

You should have a "primary user" (hcl?) that was the first one created
during the install.  When sudo (not su) asks for the password, enter
hcl's password.  Essentially hcl is used to access root's privileges, so
you have to key in hcl's password to verify that it's hcl sitting at the
keyboard and not a random user that strolled by.

use "sudo chmod 777 <filename>", for example.

Any use of the sudo command is logged.

If I'm not remembering this correctly I'm sure someone will step in... :-)