querry: root password!

Nikunj Kumar nikunj.kumar at fermentabiotech.com
Sat Feb 23 03:30:39 UTC 2008

Dear SUPPORT,

I bought the recently launched HCL laptop which has EDUBUNTU as the
operating system.

We use 'hcl' as the login user and things work out fine.

We have a file which is owned by the 'root' user under /etc/. We want to
change the ownership of this file and give it red/write/execute
permission to all the users. So the command we look forward to run as a
'root' user is: chmod 777 <filename>

The problem is that when we type 'su' in a terminal window we are
supposed to give the root users password which we do not have. The
guides also do not give any details about the same.

As I also understand in UBUNTU we cannot login as a 'root' user so using
'su' is the only option left.

Any pointers as to how we can get this working?

Regards,

Nikunj Sharma

Kindly cc the solution on the following link also!

nikunjksharma at rediffmail.com

*** Disclaimer: The information contained in this
    communication is intended solely for the individual or
    entity to which it is addressed. It may contain
    confidential and/or legally privileged information. Any
    review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of,
    or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this
    information by persons or entities other than the
    intended recipient is strictly prohibited and may be
    unlawful. If you have received this communication in
    error, please notify us immediately by responding to
    this email and then delete it from your system. DIL
    Group attempts to sweep e-mails and attachments for
    viruses, it does not guarantee that either are virus
    free and that we accept no liability for any damage
    sustained as a result of viruses. ***