No wireless: Edimax rt73usb

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 25 11:22:01 UTC 2008

Sorry Dotan, can't help you anymore. Found my soln by
googling and made an educated guess which of many I
found that applied to me. The procedure I listed below
is what worked for me after I found which rt* module
of several listed was correct for my chipset. If you
know your chipset, search on that.

--- Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > > r8169: eth0: link up
> >  > Feb 24 23:53:58 garry-desktop kernel: [
> 21.028000]
> >  > Failure
> >  > registering capabilities with primary security
> >  > module.
> >  > Feb 24 23:53:58 garry-desktop kernel: [
> 21.244000]
> >  > phy0 ->
> >  > rt2500usb_enable_radio: Error - Register
> >  > initialization failed.
> >
> > > snip
> >
> > > lo: Disabled
> >  > Privacy Extensions
> >  > Feb 24 23:54:18 garry-desktop kernel: [
> 41.048000]
> >  > eth0: no IPv6
> >  > routers present
> >  >
> >  >

> > You have similiar error messages that I had on a
> >  LinlSYS WPM54G pci wifi card. My soln was a
> >  complicated fix envolving determining the correct
> rt
> >  module vs. pci version, adding it to the
> /etc/modules,
> >  blacklisting mac80211, shutting down, removing
> the
> >  card, rebooting and shutting down again, then
> >  reinserting the card and reabooting before it
> would
> >  work and maybe having to issue, sudo ifdown wlan0
> >  followed by sudo ifup wlan0 before it would
> connect.
> >  Hope you don't have that trouble but you may want
> >  google on your card and it there are issues in
> its
> >  setup you should find a lot to ponder over.
> >  You likely, almost assuredly, know more about
> >  networking than I, but I never was able to setup
> >  wifi connection with ethx, or with lo, only with
> >  wlan0.
> >  Your dmesg output may show more as to the cause
> of the
> >  failure, mine did. I don't see anything about
> setting
> >  up the usb "LINK" which usually tells you
> something
> >  about the failure. Maybe that only shows up in
> dmesg.
> >  If you have a special setup procedure for the
> device
> >  or special module you should find all you need
> googing
> >  over it. May want to ID the chipset too.  Good
> luck or
> >  maybe someone who has used it has the answers.
> Did you
> >  google to see if its supported?
>
> I did google the dongle and I see that there are
> many problems, and
> just as many solutions. Everyone seems to need to
> jump through a
> different hoop to make it work. So I thought that
> I'd ask here instead
> of experimenting with 50 different procedures that
> _may_ work (or
> not). This isn't my computer (I install Ubuntu on
> friends' computers
> about once a week) so I did not want to do too much

-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת