Edit a file on an ISO

Leo Cacciari leo.cacciari at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 09:49:50 UTC 2008

Il giorno lun, 25/02/2008 alle 00.58 +0000, Tony Arnold ha scritto:
> You can mount an iso file as a file system using the mount command, e.g.,
>
> 	sudo mount -o loop somefile.iso /mnt
>
> You will then find all the files in the iso image in /mnt where you can
> edit away and the iso file will be modified directly.

No, it is not so:

$ mount -o loop,rw /opt/iso/ubuntu-7.10-desktop-i386.iso /mnt
$ mount
.... [omitted]

/opt/iso/ubuntu-7.10-desktop-i386.iso on /mnt type iso9660
(rw,loop=/dev/loop0)

$ sudo touch /mnt/foobar
touch: cannot touch `/mnt/foobar': Read-only file system

Either I'm doing something wrong, or your idea does not work. I faced
the same problem a little while ago, and I was _sure_ it could be done
as you suggest, but no look. I resorted to isomaster and I was going to
suggest it, only NoOp did it before me:)

--
Leo 'TheHobbbit' Cacciari