Help! Instable network on 6.06 based SuperMicro server with e1000 Intel driver

Nick Webb nick at freelock.com
Sun Feb 24 15:52:18 UTC 2008

Floris Vlasveld wrote:

> And, the output of "ethtool eth0" and eth1:
>
> Settings for eth0:
> Supported ports: [ TP ]
> Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
>                         100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
>                         1000baseT/Full
> Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
> Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
>                         100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
>                         1000baseT/Full
> Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
> Speed: 100Mb/s
> Duplex: Full
> Port: Twisted Pair
> PHYAD: 0
> Transceiver: internal
> Auto-negotiation: on
> Supports Wake-on: umbg
> Wake-on: g
> Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)
> Link detected: yes
>
> Settings for eth1:
> Supported ports: [ TP ]
> Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
>                         100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
>                         1000baseT/Full
> Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
> Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
>                         100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
>                         1000baseT/Full
> Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
> Speed: 100Mb/s
> Duplex: Full
> Port: Twisted Pair
> PHYAD: 0
> Transceiver: internal
> Auto-negotiation: on
> Supports Wake-on: umbg
> Wake-on: g
> Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)
> Link detected: yes

I have similar SuperMicro servers with no issues.  I'd look first at the
switch this server is connect to and make sure the ports are set to auto
negotiate just like your interfaces are.  If they are set to auto
negotiation, then I'd force them to 100/full and do the same to your
server's network cards.  I've seen speed/duplex mismatches cause lots of
odd problems before.

Aside from that, I'd be looking for hardware issues.  See anything odd
in the logs?

Nick