import outlook express mail to evolution

Peter N. Spotts pspotts at alum.mit.edu
Sat Feb 23 22:46:25 UTC 2008

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 17:35:46 -0500
"geoffrey froner" <geoffrey.froner at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm intro-ing my friend to Linux.  She has several hundred emails
> archived from her Outlook Express account and although we can unzip
> them, we are not able to get Evolution to read them.  We cant convert
> them to .cvs files because her Outlook program is broken.  I've
> looked in the Ubuntu forums but could find no help there.  Please
> tell us how to do this or how to convert them to text files easily.
> TIA
>
> Geoffrey

Geoffery,

Try this:

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/moving-outlook-email-data-to-linux-evolution-mail-client.html

It basically asks you to install Thunderbird on the Windows machine,
then import your Outlook emails to T-bird. T-bird and Evolution use the
same email format (mbox), so you can just copy the T-bird email files
into the correct Evolution subdirectory. It may not be elegant, but I
suspect it will work.

With best regards,

Pete
--
Peter N. Spotts | Science reporter
The Christian Science Monitor

"The knack of flying is to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
            -- Douglas Adams, "A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"