Network Fax

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 23 21:59:40 UTC 2008

On 02/22/2008 01:48 PM, Bob Cortez wrote:
> I have an HP OfficeJet J5750 All In One (print/fax/copy/scan) unit
> that is installed as the default network printer.  It is plugged in
> with a USB connection to a box running 7.1.   All computers on the
> network can print without a problem.  The fax printer appears as an
> option in the available printers.  When I try to fax using hplip from
> the computer connected to the printer it hangs at "processing fax
> file".  When I try hplip from a networked computer I get an error "no
> device found:" even though it shows up in the available printers as
> installed and ready.  I have hylafax server installed but  It's
> apparently looking for a fax modem, not the USB connection.  I'm at a
> complete loss here, and not even sure where to look to find the
> problem, never mind the solution.
>
> Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Bob

I don't have such a device, but according to this:
http://hplip.sourceforge.net/supported_devices/inkjet_aio.html
faxing for the J5750 is supported:

Model Name 	Min. HPLIP Version 	Parallel 	USB 	Network or JetDirect1
Print Class 	Scan to PC3 	Photo Card Access4 	PC Send Fax5 	PC Initiated
Copy6 	Services and Status7 	Driver Plug-in8

Officejet J5750 All-in-One	1.7.2 	No	Yes	No	DJGenericVIP 	Yes	No
Yes	No 	Yes	No

<quote>
5 Fax supported means that PC initiated fax send is supported using
hp-sendfax, once an appropriate CUPS fax queue is set up.
</quote>

Try looking on that site for further answers. Also:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ubuntu+%2Bhp-sendfax