Thin client question - (I think?)

Dave Woyciesjes woyciesjes at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 23 16:44:01 UTC 2008

Brian McKee wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-02-22 at 23:11 -0800, Patton Echols wrote:
>
>> My suggestion was to have one fairly robust XP box, replace all the
>> other desktops with lightweight linux diskless "thin clients."   (Is
>> that the correct term?)  I envision something like a DSL box
>> http://tinyurl.com/b6l35 that uses something like terminal server client
>> to remote to the XP box where everyone logs in.  Windoze would then do
>> the authentication of each user to it's server and (license issues
>> aside) 1/2 dozen or so users can all work simultaneously.
>
> You have the concept right.  But, the server has to be a Windows Server
> product, not XP, and Windows Terminal Server (as I understand it - I'm
> not a user of that product) requires a license for every computer that
> attaches to it - a CAL (Client Access License)  IIRC it comes with 5 and
> every one past that is extra.  Those CALs might be enough money to
> negate the gains from a linux client.
>
> This is exactly how things like HP's thin client (which runs Debian)
> work, or boxes like the koolu work
> http://koolu.com/Koolu-WE-Appliance/Works-Everywhere-Appliance.html
>
> Citrix works on that principle too, but I don't know their pricing
> model.
>
> If you want to try it - you can get a demo version of Windows Server
> 2008 that works for 3 months or so and 'have at it' as a proof of
> concept.

	Yep you are pretty darn close. I setup a Windows Server 2003 Standard
box at work. There are 2 licensing schemes for it, one is per seat, and
the other I don't recall at the moment. Sorry... But a search on Google
(BTW, Google is a name, proper noun, _not_ a verb!) turned these up:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/terminalservices/default.mspx
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823313
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/techinfo/overview/termservlic.mspx

--