parted

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sat Feb 23 15:28:41 UTC 2008

Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 7:04 AM, Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com> wrote:
>
>> Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
>>  > On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 12:24 AM, Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com> wrote:
>>  >
>>  >> Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
>>  >>  > On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 10:28 PM, Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com> wrote:
>>  >>  >
>>  >>  >>     I have been working with parted and kind of like it. The # parted
>>  >>  >>  print is nice since I don't need to figure out about how big the
>>  >>  >>  partition is. It tells me in English :-)
>>  >>  >>
>>  >>  >>     The capability to cp copy a directory to another is interesting. Has
>>  >>  >>  anyone used this or heard anything about it?
>>  >>  >>
>>  >>  >>     Re-sizing a partition looks interesting too. I need to do that if
>>  >>  >>  possible. I find that many tasks seem to need to be done from another
>>  >>  >>  system like the live CD.
>>  >>  >>
>>  >>  >>     Any help with possible good or bad things to say about parted would
>>  >>  >>  be a big help to me.
>>  >>  >>
>>  >>  >
>>  >>  > The good: it generally works
>>  >>  >
>>  >>  > The bad: unless you have really a new version, there many not be
>>  >>  > support to read, modify or delete NTFS partitions, or even to do
>>  >>  > anything to EXT3 partitions.
>>  >>  >
>>  >>  > The really bad (not a criticism of parted per se): if you've used
>>  >>  > parted, you probably won't be able to sensibly use Partition Magic or
>>  >>  > some other partition software on the disk. And vice versa.
>>  >>  >
>>  >>  > Hope that helps,
>>  >>  >    Gernot
>>  >>  >
>>  >>  >
>>  >>     Thanks, and just what I wanted. I will try it since I don't own
>>  >>  Partition Magic :-)
>>  >>
>>  >>  It at least reads ext3 partitions and it is version GNU Parted 1.7.1 and
>>  >>  is on Ubuntu 1.71 that is not the newest. Wish me luck. If not lucky I
>>  >>  may not be here for some time :-)
>>  >>
>>  >
>>  > Heh! Good luck. Also,make sure you understand how to reinstall grub in
>>  > your MBR, how grub hard disk and partition numbering differs from that
>>  > of unix and how those differ from that of parted! A complete written
>>  > copy of parted output, and your /etc/fstab (and output from df -kh or
>>  > similar) can help to avoid confusion later.
>>     Well it is like this: parted will still not work with and ext3 file
>>  system. It doesn't work and the error message is an uncompatable  file
>>  system. So the heck with  parted :-) ;-)
>>

> I told you so :-) Someone else correct me on this, but you can deal
> [...]
    In this case I just had to change the root in menu.lst from (hd0,7)
to (hd0,1) and tell grub to boot (hd,1). All of this I learned and it is
in the paper I am writing. Today I will make a new (hd0,8) which will go
from 8 GB to 20 GB. Or I may put /karl my directory in a partition of
it's own and load it back into the system with fstab.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User