laptop hangs when booting 2.6.22-14

Aart Koelewijn aart at mtack.xs4all.nl
Sat Feb 23 14:15:45 UTC 2008

Hello,

I installed Ubuntu 7.04 on my Asus F3M laptop with AMD Sempron 3400+
processor and it worked like a charm.

Now I upgraded to 7.10 and it will not boot with the 2.6.22-14 kernel.
With the "generic" it will hang in undefined  places, with the "386"
version it will boot in recovery mode but will hang when I want to start
gdm. In standard mode the last line I see when booting mentions:

hid-core.c: v2.6:USB HID core driver

After adding acpi=off to the booting line the kernel will now boot, but
sound, CPU-scaling and battery indication (and maybe some other things)
are not working.

As I suspect this has something to do with the USB controller, here is
the output off $ lspci | grep USB

00:0b.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP51 USB Controller (rev a3)
00:0b.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP51 USB Controller (rev a3)

I have the nVidia drivers installed, without them my screen has an almost
unusable low resolution.

I would like to get the laptop working well with the 2.6.22 kernel, but
if there is no easy solution I will use the 2.6.20-16 kernel, which is
still there from the 7.04 installation and works well.

Aart