parted

Gernot Hassenpflug aikishugyo at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 14:14:31 UTC 2008

On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 7:04 AM, Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com> wrote:

> Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
>  > On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 12:24 AM, Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com> wrote:
>  >
>  >> Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
>  >>  > On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 10:28 PM, Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com> wrote:
>  >>  >
>  >>  >>     I have been working with parted and kind of like it. The # parted
>  >>  >>  print is nice since I don't need to figure out about how big the
>  >>  >>  partition is. It tells me in English :-)
>  >>  >>
>  >>  >>     The capability to cp copy a directory to another is interesting. Has
>  >>  >>  anyone used this or heard anything about it?
>  >>  >>
>  >>  >>     Re-sizing a partition looks interesting too. I need to do that if
>  >>  >>  possible. I find that many tasks seem to need to be done from another
>  >>  >>  system like the live CD.
>  >>  >>
>  >>  >>     Any help with possible good or bad things to say about parted would
>  >>  >>  be a big help to me.
>  >>  >>
>  >>  >
>  >>  > The good: it generally works
>  >>  >
>  >>  > The bad: unless you have really a new version, there many not be
>  >>  > support to read, modify or delete NTFS partitions, or even to do
>  >>  > anything to EXT3 partitions.
>  >>  >
>  >>  > The really bad (not a criticism of parted per se): if you've used
>  >>  > parted, you probably won't be able to sensibly use Partition Magic or
>  >>  > some other partition software on the disk. And vice versa.
>  >>  >
>  >>  > Hope that helps,
>  >>  >    Gernot
>  >>  >
>  >>  >
>  >>     Thanks, and just what I wanted. I will try it since I don't own
>  >>  Partition Magic :-)
>  >>
>  >>  It at least reads ext3 partitions and it is version GNU Parted 1.7.1 and
>  >>  is on Ubuntu 1.71 that is not the newest. Wish me luck. If not lucky I
>  >>  may not be here for some time :-)
>  >>
>  >
>  > Heh! Good luck. Also,make sure you understand how to reinstall grub in
>  > your MBR, how grub hard disk and partition numbering differs from that
>  > of unix and how those differ from that of parted! A complete written
>  > copy of parted output, and your /etc/fstab (and output from df -kh or
>  > similar) can help to avoid confusion later.
>     Well it is like this: parted will still not work with and ext3 file
>  system. It doesn't work and the error message is an uncompatable  file
>  system. So the heck with  parted :-) ;-)

I told you so :-) Someone else correct me on this, but you can deal
with this by telling parted that the system is ext2. You might want to
convert your ext3 to a real ext2 before that with tune2fs (?).

>     I got mad and from my live CD I used 'dd' to copy this Ubuntu with
>  all it's stuff from /dev/hda8 to /dev/hda2. It did it and here I am now.
>  I always have to read info dd to know what to do. It IS weird but it
>  works fine obviously.

Yes, should work. Presumably you need to change the number of the
drives in /etc/fstab and for grub too I suppose.