Newbie

Chris racerx at makeworld.com
Sat Feb 23 00:37:05 UTC 2008

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 16:33:07 -0800
David Vincent <dvincent at sleepdeprived.ca> wrote:

> Chris wrote:
> > On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 15:40:11 -0800
> > Rich Rudnick <rich at aphroneo.net> wrote:

> >> You could install a full fledged linux OS and configure it as a
> >> firewall, but you might find http://smoothwall.org/ more useful as
> >> a dedicated installation.
> >>

> > I agree here, if you have a low-end box, install smoothwall. Use the
> > new Lappy for YOUR install of Ubu (or what ever *nix you wish to
> > play with).
>
> one thing about smoothwall which is starting to bother me is the lack
> of security on the login page - no https thus an attacker can sniff
> the admin password off the wire and then gain access to the firewall.
> that's bad.

... that's assuming you are accessing the admin from outside the local
network. It's prolly not wise to allow something like that.

for example, I can admin my routers etc from within my own net, but
it's shutoff on the wan side. I have to assume that smooth has the same
option.

> endian firewall is more secure and also takes more effort to setup -
> it is an offshoot of smoothwall.  check it out.
>
> http://www.endian.com/en/community/

I can't comment on the above.

--
Best regards,
Chris

I'd love to help you -- it's just that the Boss won't let me near the
computer.