Newbie

Donald Donald at WoodlynRd.com
Fri Feb 22 23:07:26 UTC 2008

Greetings,

I'm a Windows sysadmin who is new to Ubuntu. My son has been busting my
chops to give it a look and I recently acquired a Dell 2650 that I would
like to configure as a firewall for my network.

Knowing next to nothing about the OS I was hoping someone could point me
in the right direction where I might find some literature and how-to
information that would assist me in this endeavor. My son simply gushes
over Ubuntu and having seen the workstation version on his PC, I must
admit that it appears very user-friendly.

At $1000.00+ for an entry-level SonicWall firewall (that my secadmins
insist is not a "real" firewall) and upwards of $5000.00 for a
CheckPoint solution, not to mention license fees, a Linux-like
implementation simply makes good sense. A security consultant friend of
mine swears that a rock-solid implementation is possible; I just need a
little guidance.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Thank You,

Donald Koch