BIOS problem?

Felipe Figueiredo philsf79 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 22:59:28 UTC 2008

On Wed 20 Feb 2008 19:46:05 Karl Larsen wrote:

> > Again, "nothing to see here, move along". You have to do the grub dance
when
> > you change the system to another HD.
> >
> > You have to find out (don't know how) which of the HDs is recognized by
grub
> > as hd0 and which one as hd1. Assuming it is hd1 (mutatis mutandis if not):
> >
> > sudo grub
> > grub> root (hd1,6)
> > grub> setup (hd1)
> > grub> quit
> >
> > This will set grub in the second HD, and look for boot information in the
7th
> > partition (for this, I'm also assuming you don't have a separate /boot
> > partition).

>     The problem I am seeing is that even if I turn off the IDE HD in
> Bios grub can't do the right thing to the SATA drive. When I do root
> (hd0,6) it says no Linux found. This means it can't find grub setup files.

Well, then it means my assumptions are incorrect. You must know what the
variables mean if you are to fill the blanks.

Did you issue 'root (hd0,6)' from within your working installation, of after
disabling the PATA HD?

Does sda7 have the /boot directory, with the grub informations, and linux
images?

If so, then you might give grub-install a try. Also, have you read the grub
docs?

regards
FF