2nd NIC

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 20 19:40:56 UTC 2008

On 02/20/2008 11:07 AM, jack wrote:
> I'm running Ubuntu Gutsy server and wanted to add a 2nd NIC so that
> I'd have eth0 plugged into my outgoing fiber connection and eth1 on a
> router for an internal lan in the house. I plugged in the 2nd nic
> card,  but it won't light. dmesg|grep eth1 shows e1000: eth1: e1000
> probeL Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection
>
> tail /var/log/syslog shows dhclient: Bind socket to interface: No
> such device
>
> ifup eth1 returns SIOCSIFADDR: No such device eth1: ERROR while
> getting interface flags: No such device
>
> /etc/network/interfaces has auto eth1 iface eth1 inet dhcp
>
> Am I missing something else?
>
> Jack

Could be a problem with the nic. Could also be that it is a dhcp issue;
do you have the second nic connected to a dhcp server (in your router
for instance)?

For simplicity, I have both nics in my server set as fixed IP's. If I
set the second nic to dhcp and it is not connected to anything then I
get the same message that you do.

Try setting it to a fixed IP, then:

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
ifconfig

and see what shows up. If that works, then it is most likely a dhcp
issue. You may have to go into you router and clear your dhcp table.