Little Problem

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Wed Feb 20 13:28:20 UTC 2008

    As I was writing on my paper about using 'fdisk' I discovered to my
horror that I used it wrong on both my hard drives. Both HD are 160 GB
one IDE the SATA. When I made the partition /dev/hda4 I didn't make it a
full size Extended type. I made them both smaller making both hard
drives have about 50 GB effective :-)

    Now I know how to correct the fdisk call and use the whole HD but I
can't do it without a high risk of loosing what is in the Extended
partitions.

    Well I tried it on the SATA HD because this Ubuntu is on the IDE HD
and it almost worked. I had Fedora 8 on the Extended partitions in two
partitions. I got the boot partition screwed up but the main partition
is fine.

    So you can re-do the Extended partitions but it is very risky. I
decided it needs to be done so I copied this Ubuntu from here on the IDE
to a new partition on the SATA HD which is twice as big as this one.
This is important because now my Ubuntu is using 85% of the partition!
Have to fix this :-)

    I need to change grub and fstab on the copied Ubuntu and it should
be fine since I used rsync to copy the stuff over. It is fast and
effective.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI