Partition Reorganization / OK - back to track again ! ;-)

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Wed Feb 20 07:25:14 UTC 2008

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
> I was able to modify GRUB while it starts:
> Changing its entry from hd0.1 to hd0.2 brought back my system !! ;-)

Glad it works :)

> Now I am not sure if my modification lasts or
> if I have to do something  more !?

No, it isn't persistent. You should modify the file /boot/grub/menu.lst
and save your modifications there. Then from the working system run the
command

grub-install /dev/sda

in a terminal. Attention: In a previous mail you wrote something of hda*
not sda*. So better check what the drive is called in the working system
and if the partition names are hda*, the command would
be "grub-install /dev/hda".

Nils