MANAGING TWO OPERATING SYSTEMS

joe revolt at shaw.ca
Mon Feb 18 20:15:14 UTC 2008

Nils Kassube wrote:
> abhishek wrote:
>
>> I have windows Xp and Ubuntu on my laptops, both in different drives.
>> When I boot, the system displays a list of Operating Systems, in that
>> Ubuntu is on top and automatically gets selected in 8 secs if I don't
>> select any one of them physically. I want to know, how to put XP on top
>> in this list so that it is chosen automatically?
>>

> Use the command
>
> gksu gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
>
> in a terminal and in the file move the entry for Windows before this line:
>
> ### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIS
Or if you like using a GUI you could install startupmanager (with
synaptic, or by typing sudo apt-get install startupmanager)

then type sudo startupmanager and you can change a bunch of settings in
the bootloader, including default OS.

Love the fact that we have more than one way to do the same thing.

Joe