Partition Reorganization

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux i-ubux at synass.net
Mon Feb 18 09:58:11 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-02-17 at 15:41 -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Nils Kassube wrote:
>
> > Derek Broughton wrote:
> >>
> >> hmmm.  I'm sure you want to do this, but Nils is probably right that
> >> you're going to need to do "grub-install" from the new partition -
> >> otherwise it's still going to look for /boot/grub/menu.lst on the
> >> second partition.
> >
> > Well, there may be another problem here. If there was a kernel update on
> > the hda2 partition AFTER the hda2 partition was coipied to hda6,
>
> You're getting into some pretty esoteric possibilities here :-)  If he's
> updated the kernel on the original partition since copying everything, the
> missing kernel is likely just the very beginning of his problems...
>
> --
> derek

Hi Derek, Leonard, Nils and Sam
Again thanks a lot for all your very appreciated assistance !

My special compliment and comments are going to Leonard first:
You mentioned some insecure feelings at the begin !
I appreciate that very much: Even with more than 35 years in
professional IT I am always on a learning path and we all know
we have to !! ;-)

With my long years in IT I know myself best when it comes to
playground or sensitive tasks and accordingly I do behave !!! ;-D

Always trying to be prepared for (something / the) unexpected ...
... sometimes Murphy's law works more perfect then myself and
then: OOPpss. ;-((

Experience and knowledge are important !
Very important is also feeling support: Real and mental !!

Therefor I thank you all for assisting me in my sensitive task:
I haven't given up, I just postpone it until I understand better
what I have to do without sending my data to Nirwana !!!

At the moment I try to find out how to do backup best and easiest
for me as greenhorn. Having this backup and the knowledge how to
rrestore in case ...
... I will try following:

My current environment with sda1 / ntfs (Win XPP original installation
with
Ubuntu 7.1 in sda2 and SWAP in the extended will be changed into what
I already described earlier:

sda1 / ntfs / Win XPP (stays untouched)
sda2 / ext3 / current Ubuntu 7.1 (stays untouched till copied into
extended)
sda3 / extended / all the rest of the HDD
sda5 / SWAP / in extended
sda6 / new ext3 / for future Ubuntu 7.1 and replacing the one in sda2 !!
sda7 / new ext3 / for home, since I wanna have my personal data off the
rest !!!
any more ???

How do I ?

I will do everything with GParted and
after deleting sda2 I will RE-create MBR/GRUB with S.G.D. 0.9676
(Super Grub Disk, V 0.9676)

http://supergrub.forjamari.linex.org/

Your advice and guidance to continue and finish my Partition
Reorganization
perfectly is still sought and very appreciated. ;-)

Cheers, svobi