Burning Video

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Mon Feb 18 00:23:54 UTC 2008

Wayne Smith wrote:
> I am trying to burn either a Kino SMIL video file or an eli video file
> to DVD, but Ubuntu thinks they're both Plain Text Documents and so does
> K3b. I made them in Kino. Kino will still open the SMIL file, nothing
> else will open either of them.
>
> The original video files I made them from are in AVI format, and Kino is
> the only thing that will open them. What do I do?????

First off, burning any old file to DVD won't allow you to view it on your TV
in a DVD player attached to your TV nor will it play on any DVD drive/SW in
a PC.  Is that your goal?

A Video DVD has a very specific format.

If your original video is AVI you can follow the procedure here:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/answers/Applications_GUI_Multimedia/AVI_to_DVD

There are scripts out there to simplify things a bit.