Installing the msttcorefonts package on a mchine withou internet access

sktsee sktsee at tulsaconnect.com
Fri Feb 15 18:28:02 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 08:50 -0500, stan wrote:
> I need to install the msttcorefonts Ubuntu package on a machine that cannot
> directly access the Internet. Under normal circumstances, this machine can
> install Ubuntu packages by using another machine which does have Internet
> access, using it's apt-proxy. But this particular package tries to directly
> fetch some files from sourceforge, which of course fails.
>
> Seems to me that I should be able to manually download these files from
> sourceforge, and the let apt-get install try to install this package.
> Problem is, I don't know where to place these files, such that apt-proxy
> will recognize that they are already present, and thus not try to download
> them.
>
> I looked  around on a machine that I have installed this package on, and
> (using find) could not find these files at all, so i assuming that they are
> transient, and deleted once the fonts have been extracted.

Assuming that apt-get left the msttcorefonts package in a hold state
(pending configuration) here are the steps to install the MS corefonts
from a local directory.

1. In a terminal or vt, confirm that msttcorefonts is partially
installed
$ dpkg -C

If it's listed as broken or hold, then proceed to step two. If it isn't,
the grab the msttcorefonts_2.2_all.deb package from a Ubuntu archive and
install it manually on the isolated machine.
$ sudo dpkg -i msttcorefont_2.2_all.deb

2. copy the ms corefonts self-extracting cab files into a local
directory on the machine you want them installed on. Do not extract the
cab files and be sure that you have all of them. You can find a list
in /var/lib/dpkg/info/msttcorefonts.postinst (arial32.exe, andale32.exe,
etc.)

3. Open the /var/lib/dpkg/info/msttcorefonts.postinst script for editing
and change a line at the top of the file that reads "LOCALCOPY=$RET" to
"LOCALCOPY=/directorypath/where/you/stored/thefont/cabs
Save the file.

4. Configure the msttcorefont with dpkg
$ sudo dpkg --configure msttcorefonts

If you specified the right directory to where you copied the font
self-extracting cab files in the msttcorefonts.postinst script, then
msttcorefonts config will output the status of extracting and installing
the fonts.

Oh, and don't start new threads on same subject within a day or so. It
won't get your problem solved any faster.

sktsee