Error trying to install Gutsy over Feisty

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Fri Feb 15 15:49:06 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-25 at 07:18 -0600, Larry Alkoff wrote:
> I am using a known good Gutsy cdrom and trying to install on an Intel
> system with 2 gig, a 500 gig sata drive and a sata cdrom.  The install
> would format sda1 but not /home which is on sda5.
>
> The machine was formerly working without error on the same drive with
> feisty on it.
>
> when I boot the cdrom I get to the menu that has 'install from cdrom' at
> the top and accept that by pushing enter.
>
> Something in the computer clicks about 5 times.
>
> I then get thrown into Busybox with the following messages:
>
> Busybox v1.1.3
> Debian 1:1.1.3-5ubuntu7
> Built in shell ash
>
> Initramfs [83.461901]
>
> ATA5.00:  Failed to set
> xfermode xfermode (err-mask=0x40)
>
> ATA6.00:  Exception EMask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr oxo action ox2 frozen.
>
> Can anyone shed some light on what these messages mean?
>
> Are they telling me there is a problem with my close to new sata cdrom?
>
> Larry

Don't see any replies to this yet, so if you are still having this
issue, you may want to check out the bug report at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.20/+bug/112132

This was first reported in Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn, later confirmed in
Gutsy 7.10. Take a look at
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=414002&page=2
and
http://www.fak3r.com/2007/06/22/failed-to-set-xfermode-solved/
for work-arounds. I did not read all of these, but it appears to
describe exactly what you are experiencing.

good luck,

--
Charlie Kravetz