hung boot process

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Fri Feb 15 13:05:18 UTC 2008

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Bob Holtzman wrote:
>

>> The partitions were set up with "manual" on ubuntu's ubiquity(?)
>> partitioner. If it doesn't work that way in ubuntu I assume others
>> that tried to partition manually would have the same trouble...anyone?
>>

> I always partition manually, and have never had a problem with Ubuntu - but
> I haven't put /boot onto a separate partition since before Ubuntu existed.
>
> Having /boot in a separate partition has its own issues because grub needs
> to know that the boot device is not the same as the root device.  It's too
> long since I did this to remember which options need to change in menu.lst.

    I am trying to forget how to have a boot partition. The boot
partition was needed when the older BIOS systems could not boot anything
beyond X gigibytes. This caused you to put all the boot partitions near
the start of the first hard drive. It was VERY confusing but it proved
Grub could do this.

    The basic step is this. In menu.lst you use the boot partitions's
name for the main root like: root (hd0,3), and then you follow the
kernel information with another root=/dev/hdc4 which tells Grub where
the system is.

    It works. But forget it because all new BIOS can see clear out to
1000 GB :-)

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI