hung boot process

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Fri Feb 15 10:00:33 UTC 2008

Gerald Dachs wrote:

> Am Thu, 14 Feb 2008 11:42:23 -0700 (MST)
> schrieb Bob Holtzman <holtzm at sonic.net>:
>
>> On Thu, 14 Feb 2008, Gerald Dachs wrote:

>> > This is because you have made a separate partition for boot and you
>> > are only looking into the directory that is the mount point for this
>> > partition. If you make 'mount <boot partition> /boot' you will see
>> > the missing files appear.
>>
>> Sorry, I forgot to specify that I had /dev/sda<whatever>, the boot
>> partition, mounted on the /boot mount point. You are correct, of
>> course, that a lot of content appeared once I had done this.
>> Unfortunately, none of it had anything to do with grub until I ran
>> grub-install. Even then the only file that the grub directory
>> contained was device.map.

Gerald is still mostly right.  You appear to have created a /boot partition
without actually copying all of the files from the boot directory of the /
partition.  You have to do that, edit the menu.lst to ensure that it
expects to find the files from the /boot partition in the right place,
_then_ probably run update-grub (you _shouldn't_ need to do another
grub-install - that puts the first stage file in the mbr or superblock,
which shouldn't need to change).

> Sorry, I couldn't know that you know what you are doing. The
> level of experience and knowledge in this list is so low ...

Give me a break.

> I don't know whether to cry or to laugh.
> I had subscribed to this list because of a problem I have already
> forgotten, some months ago. During this time I have seen 5 posters
> that I would name experts.

Probably a fairly reasonable number.  However, I think I could easily run up
a list of 20 or more who are pretty helpful, and another handful who have
shown themselves to be experts with specific apps.

Insulting the list members gets you killfiled, which tends to mean that
nobody ever gives you the answers you're looking for, which makes you think
the knowledge level is low.  It's self-fulfilling.
--
derek