compiz on machines with ATI cards?

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 18:30:20 UTC 2008

On 14/02/2008, stan <stanb at panix.com> wrote:
> I have just set up compiz on several machines with Nvidia graphics cards,
>  and it is cool.. Ok so it's kust eye candy, and a huge waste of CPU cycles
>  :-)
>
>  So, I have a laptop, and a number of Sun 2100's that have ATI cards for
>  graphics. Is there a way to run compiz on them? Here is the line out of
>  xorg.conf for one of the 2100's:
>
>  Identifier      "ATI Technologies Inc Rage XL"
>
>  and it is presently using the "ati" driver.
>
>  Can I do this? if so how?

Here is my xorg.conf file. I've got an ATI X1400 in a Dell Inspiron
6400 with Compiz-Fusion running.

# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "single head configuration"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Synaptics" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Synaptics"
        Driver      "synaptics"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option      "Protocol" "auto-dev"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
        Option      "SHMConfig" "on"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"

 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        ModelName    "LCD Panel 1680x1050"
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
        HorizSync    31.5 - 90.0
        VertRefresh  59.9 - 60.1
        Option      "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "fglrx"
EndSection

Section "Module"
       load "GLcore"
       load "glx"
       load "dri"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
       Group 0
       Mode 0666
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
       Option "Composite" "Disable"
#       Option          "Composite"     "Enable"
#       Option          "Composite"     "1"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"