Fwd: No rt* modules on alternate cd: Was Alternate Gutsy CD-Debootstrap Error Installing Base System-Failed To Determine Code Name Of Release

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 14 17:13:15 UTC 2008

--- NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On 02/13/2008 09:26 PM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> > --- NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>

> >> Give this a try:
> >>
> >> Alternate CD: install in text mode, do not select
> >> *any* network during
> >> the install process, continue the install
> *without
> >> networking*, set up
> >> networking after the install.
> >>

> > Thanks for the come back, NoOp. However, that's
> > exactly what I did. I presume you mean after the
> > install and reboot which is what I did. What gets
> me
> > the most is there is no mention of wireless
> networking
> > that I find after 3 installs and when I boot up
> only
> > wired and dialup modem entries are shown under
> > networking. Makes it difficult to set up a
> wireless
> > even if the drivers are in place. Are there any
> > preferred mirrors to download the iso from? Is
> there
> > more than one version of gutsy(i386 version) to
> choose
> > from? BTW, the alt CD only recognizes my NIC.
> There is
> > no mention of the WMP54G in dmesg or anywhere.
> > Reallly weird! Thanks for your help,
> >

> Mirrors should all be the same.
> http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors

Thanks, one less worry.

<http://www.dynexproducts.com/pc-596-4-dynex-80211g-enhanced-wireless-g-laptop-card.aspx>

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/gutsy/release/ubuntu-7.10-dvd-i386.list

> You can do the same by checking the .list file for
> the Alternate CD from
> any of the mirrors, example:

<http://mirror.cc.columbia.edu/pub/linux/ubuntu/releases/gutsy/ubuntu-7.10-alternate-i386.list>

Thanky so much. I'll check them all to see if the rt*
mods are listed and maybe try out the alt DVD also as
I'm trying out the 4th install and still find it
hanging at certain spots in the install software
portion which I don't think it should do.  Also trying
the linux generic ipo the 2.2.22.-14 generic that I
remember you saying was the only one that worked for
you and your wifi card. I let the list know what
happens.  Thanks for the needed help.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net