Printer invisible thru USB-switch

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 14 03:50:09 UTC 2008

On 02/13/2008 04:22 PM, Gerald Dachs wrote:

> Sorry to say, but yes. You should have bought something like this:
> http://www.netgear.com/Products/PrintServers/WiredPrintServers/PS121.aspx
> With a print server there is no need to switch, you could use the
> printer from all computers inside your local network.

The problem with those are that they do not have an ethernet port. So if
you have to do anything of distance they are worthless.

For $42-60 or more for the device:
<http://www10.epinions.com/pr-NetGear_PS121_Print_Server/display_~latest_prices>
  You could just configure an old PC to do the same; I use an old IBM
Thinkpad with a broken screen stuck in a closet running Ubuntu - it's
quieter than a PC and uses less energy. I don't even use the screen,
just remote into it if anything needs to be done/updated/configured.
  The only problem initially was the expense of a long gold plated
quality USB 12 foot cable to the printer (Canon MP750) so that the
printer could be situated outside of the closet. That alone was about
$50-60 if I recall. Next time I'll not buy a printer without a built-in
ethernet port.