Printer invisible thru USB-switch

Tom Rausner tom at tomtech.dk
Wed Feb 13 22:49:26 UTC 2008

Hey there !

I'm not new to Linux or even to Ubuntu but I've got a problem I can't
handle. My whife and I have been using different printers until now, for
technical reasons, but from now on we are going to use the same printer.
To make things easy I've invested in a USB-switch to make it possible to
switch on to the printer when ever one of us want to. Just to make it
tricky my whife is a windows-user and I'm a dedicated Ubuntu fan. So I
went and got a "ATEN US-401 USB-SWITCH". Windows handles it fine (it's a
windows thing) BUT Ubuntu can't see the printer thru the switch and
nothing I do seems to make any difference. Is there a way round the
problem or have I just waisted my money ?

Tom