pssst! Margaret, it's me again.

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Wed Feb 13 11:22:12 UTC 2008

Why do you use a subject which makes your mail look like a trojan or spam?

Willis Taylor wrote:
> I downloaded gparted and found out right away that I had not resized
> the partition that the Kubuntu that I do not wish to use is on but had
> instead created a 5.51 gig partition for my Ubuntu.  Right off the bat
> I right clicked and resized the offending partition to 4.88 gig.

I don't really understand what you are doing. From your other mails I see
that you don't like Kubuntu only because of the lack of a specific printer
driver. Someone told you that you can add the ubuntu-desktop package and
use the Ubuntu configuration tools to install your printer and afterwards
return to Kubuntu. Now it seems that you have installed Ubuntu to a new
partition. As you don't want to use KDE any more, you could just delete
the Kubuntu partition and use it for a new Ubuntu installation or a
separate /home partition. Anyway, what you have done with your Kubuntu
installation doesn't make sense to me.

> Here's my problem, I show a lock on the Ubuntu partition and I have
> this 31.61 gig of free space that I wish to use with the Ubuntu and I
> do not know the first thing about how to get me out of the mess that my
> big head has gotten me into.
>
> from gparted it reads;
>
> /dev/hdb1  ntfs  30.38 gb
> /dev/hdb2  ext3  4.88 gb .....<Kubuntu>
> unallocated .....  31.61 gb
> /dev/hdb4  ext3  5.51 gb .....<Ubuntu & it's locked>
> /dev/hdb3  extended  2.15 gb  <it's locked>
> /dev/hdb6  linux swap  305.86 mb  <it's locked.>
> /dev/hdb5  linux swap  1.85 gb

The problem is, that you have no more room for an additional primary
partition entry. There is already an extended partition, and there can
only be one on any drive. Therefore, your only two options are
1) resize the Kubuntu partition to its original size or
2) delete the Kubuntu partition and create a new hdb2 partition with the
maximum size available.

Another, more radical solution would be to delete all the partitions
hdb2 ... hdb6 and then start with a fresh install of Ubuntu. That will
give you the most available space on the disk.

> Did I kill it? ;-)

Not yet, but I think you are quite close :)

Nils